I think that a wreath hanging on the front door makes a home look so welcoming and inviting. I, however, don't usually have a wreath hanging on my front door. I don't like visitors. Just jokin'! I just don't have space to store a wreath for every holiday and season. But, I'm trying to creatively rectify this situation by using a basic wreath frame and changing out the frou frou's.
Last year, my MIL had bought a heart shaped wreath covered in red garland for Valentine's Day. After the big holiday was over she decided that she wouldn't reuse it again. So, she offered it to me. Not being one to turn down a freebie, I graciously accepted. Thanks, Carol! But, a red wreath is just not going to show up against a red door. So, I clipped all of the garland off and stuck the frame aside until today.
I got a wild hair up my heiny and on the spur of the moment foraged through my meager supply of crafting items to quickly find a way to make a wreath for our door for the upcoming holiday. This means that I was in such a hurry that I couldn't possibly take the 2.94724 seconds that it would have taken to run downstairs and grab my camera so I could show you how I did it. But don't worry, it was rediculously stupid easy - I promise.
I had a remnant of off-white flannel lying around that I simply opened up and began wrapping around the frame, starting and ending at the top. I used straight pins on the backside to secure it in place. I didn't even bother to trim or tuck the frayed edges. We'll just call it texture and be happy. :0)
Next, I stuck a couple of white roses in some folds and straight pinned them in place.
After I realized that I had some cream ribbon that would work, I wrapped it around the wreath, too. Once again, I secured it to the back with straight pins. You didn't see that coming, did you? See, I told you this was stupid easy.
A small picture frame that I had bought for fifty-cents or a dollar at Goodwill back several months ago caught my eye. I had painted the frame Heirloom White and covered the wooden back with chalkboard paint. I thought it might fit nicely on my wreath. The only problem was it didn't have a chain to hang it with yet. I just couldn't be bothered with small details like that at the moment. So, I grabbed my hot glue gun and simply smothered that sucker with glue and plopped her where I wanted her. She's holding nicely, if I do say so myself. A quick XO makes it a lovely Valentine's Day touch, me thinks.
Lastly, I hung the wreath by stapling it on my door with more of the cream ribbon. Then I tied a bow and hot glued it to the top of the wreath.
It's not perfect. It probably needs more frou frous. But, it was free and welcomes our visitors with Valentine's Day warmth. I like that I was able to throw something together with a bunch of stuff I had on hand in a matter of 5 minutes and it didn't cost me anything. The good thing is, in a couple of weeks I can dismantle it and use the stuff for something else. I think me and my make-shift wreath are going to get along just fine. :0)