Tuesday, February 9, 2010

HOMEMADE SUGAR SCRUB

This sugar scrub is something that I've used for years.  I always keep it made up in a Lock-N-Lock container in my shower.  I use it everywhere - from my face to my feet and all the spaces in between.

There is no set formula - it all depends of the size of the container you use.  It's definitely not rocket science.  But, it feels oh-so-good!


Pour a little lemon juice into the bottom of your container.  The lemon juice has alpha hydroxy acids in it and helps loosen dead skin cells.


Pour in some sugar.  This is your abrasive - it helps remove all those dead skin cells.  I read once where a dermatologist said that you should never put anything on your skin more abrasive than sugar.  My thought:  Why not just use sugar?  Yes, I am simple minded.


Stir it together to make a thick paste.  You may need to add a little more sugar or lemon juice to get it to the consistency you want.


Add a little bit of olive oil.  This will help moisturize your skin.  You can also add honey.  Some people wash their faces with straight honey due to it's cleansing and anti-bacterial qualities.  Sometimes I add it.  Sometimes I don't.


Stir to combine.  Viola!  You're done.


Put a lid on it and stick it where the sun don't shine - I mean stick it in the shower.

I use mine about every other day and it does a great job of keeping the dry, flaky skin away - even on those tough places like knees and elbows.

Happy Homemaking!

1 comment:

The one and only Lady said...

I saw your post on A soft place to land...so I popped over to check out your blog. I love this recipe for sugar scrub...I will have to try it!

Come on over and check out my blog too!