Tuesday, April 13, 2010

HOMEMADE TORTILLAS

Last night I made tacos for dinner - with homemade flour tortillas. Oh my - they were a huge hit!  I wish that I could have video taped my guy's faces for you.  I'll definitely be making these again because they were not only yummy, but they were pretty easy, too.  Here's the recipe...

Homemade Flour Tortillas:

3 c. flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. lard or bacon grease (I suspect that butter or coconut oil would work, too.)
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. milk

Mix dry ingredients together.  Cut in fat.  Add liquids.  Stir into a ball.  Knead slightly if you need to.

Wrap lightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.  You can make these early in the day, if you need to and they will keep 'till supper time. 

When you're ready to cook them - cut dough into 8 pieces (keep covered while you're rolling them out, so they don't dry out). 

Heat an un-greased cast iron skillet to medium-high heat.  Roll out the balls into disks about 10".  (Mine did better on medium.)  Cook on each  side until brown spots begin to appear.  The original recipe said about 2 minutes per side.  Mine actually cooked in about 15 seconds per side.  It may take you 1 or 2 tortillas to get it down.  Cover with a towel to keep warm while you cook the rest.  Enjoy!

This recipe was adapted from a recipe from Sarah's Musings.

Happy Homemaking!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LARD! LARD! Girl, I know they were good if you used lard. I haven't used lard in years and years. Mmmm

Shu Han said...

lard! sounds awesome! will try that next time with my tortillas/crepes.

http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/08/sourdough-crepe-that-was-easy.html