Thursday, April 15, 2010

HOMEMADE BBQ SAUCE FOR PULLED CHICKEN SANDWICHES

I needed an easy supper last night because I was going to be gone all afternoon.  So, I threw a chicken in the crockpot and let it cook while I had my appointments. 

When I got home - I pulled the bird out of the slow cooker.


I grabbed a few organic potatoes.


And got them ready to go into the oven for fries. Click here for my super simple recipe.


Then I started making a crazy-easy homemade BBQ sauce.

BBQ SAUCE:

3 c. ketchup
2 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. liquid smoke
optional - various other seasonings

The basic recipe calls for the ketchup, brown sugar, liquid smoke and salt to be combined in a pot and heated through on medium low until it's warm and thick.



But, since I can't leave 'well enough' alone - I added a few things.  I'm going to give you approximate measurements, because this part would be all to taste anyway.  I threw in about 2 tbsp. of paprika, 1 tbsp. cayenne pepper, 1/2 - 1 tsp. garlic powder and a dash of onion powder.  We like our BBQ sauce with an ever-so-mild kick. 

This is the part where I forgot to take more pictures. :0)  So, pretend that you see me shred up the chicken and add a little bit of sauce to it for the sandwiches.

We used the last of my homemade sourdough buns to serve them up on.  I remembered to take the last picture after I ate my first bite!



My Notes:

  • This sauce was really quick and simple to throw together.

  • It made plenty, so I have a ton of it left in the freezer for another use. 

  • It would be great on another pulled meat sandwich, brushing on ribs or chicken when grilling, or even as the base for a BBQ Chicken Pizza. Mmmmm....

  • My husband, who is isn't a huge fan of BBQ sauce, loved this stuff.

  • You can add different flavorings to it to make it uniquely your own.

  • Although, it has a lot of sugar in it - I figure it's still got to be better for us than the store bought kind that is not only full of sugar (probably more), but an inch long list of ingredients that I can't pronounce, also. 

  • I will still probably cut back on the sugar amount the next time I make it to see how little sugar I can actually use while keeping a well-flavored sauce.

  • I will definitely keep this in my repertoire.
Happy Homemaking!

No comments: