Saturday, January 9, 2010

HOMEMADE HERBAL SHAMPOO

I have been using my own homemade herbal shampoo for a while now. I've experimented with a few different recipes. Did you know there is a whole movement called No Poo ? I kid you not! I can't say that I'm a part of that (When I hear the name I don't know whether to giggle or cringe!), but I don't like the idea of all the chemicals in store bought shampoo. So, I try to find a happy medium.

I found (and modified slightly) a version that really works for me at Parisienne Farmgirl. It's super simple to make and does absolute wonders for my hair! I love this stuff! Honestly, the difference in my hair when I shampoo with this versus the store-bought stuff is unbelievable.


You need some herbs. I had rosemary - so, that's what I used. Put it in a pot with 2 cups of water on low heat for 20 - 30 minutes. It makes the house smell divine!


Strain it into a bottle when it's done. I use a plastic water bottle with a sports cap. I wouldn't want to put anything glass into the shower, ya know? Next, I added 3/4 cup Castile Soap. Honestly, next time I'll cut that amount down to 1/2 cup because it's so sudsy. Then I finished filling my bottle up with water. That's it.

The original recipe calls for 2 cups of herbal water and 1 1/2 cups of Castile Soap. That's just too much soap for my liking. I think that a ratio of 1/2 cup soap to 3 cups herbal water would be just perfect.

The Castile Soap I have is peppermint scented. So the final product ended up being a heavenly combination of rosemary and mint. You could do whatever combination suits you. Also, the rosemary I used was the last of what I had. So, after I steeped it the first time - I put more water in the pot with the rosemary and steeped it again for about a half hour. Then I strained it into a canning jar and refrigerated it. I'll have enough for another batch of shampoo when I need it.

My hair is much shinier, full and manageable with this herbal shampoo. I also do a cider vinegar rinse before I condition. If you have any herbs hanging around that you don't know what to do with - or if you just don't know what to do with your hair - you should really give this a try. I'm hooked.

Happy Homemaking!

2 comments:

~Leslie said...

Yes! I know of the No-poo thing! We actually do it around here. So much better for our hair/bodies and a whole lot lighter on the pocket. I'll have to try this recipe, sounds nice. I have a great one for deep conditioning. It's totally awesome (or at least I think so!)! smile.

thanks for sharing!!

here's a link to that post (and a few others on 'natural hair' stuff): http://home-grownkids.blogspot.com/search/label/natural%20hair

~Leslie said...

Hi Pam! Glad you were able to find the information useful! ;-)
I'll have to look through my 'Natural Hair' Journal....ok. This isn't any "official" but I usually use a combination of olive oil, coconut oil and jojoba oil (equal parts of each) in our hair as a conditioner between our 'deep' one. I have them in a spray bottle and simply spray and massage into scalp and then finger down to ends of hair. I normally don't wash it out of the girls' hair but will wash it out of mine (since I have it so short now). I also use a glycerin/water mix to hold in the moisture. It also helps with detangling.

Also, a good resource is YouTube.com. I've gotten lots of information and recipes from videos. I have a great recipe book for all kinds of natural personal care (hair, face, lips, feet, body). It's 'Earthly Bodies & Heavenly Hair' by Dina Falconi. I checked it out at the library but after looking through it knew I needed my own!

Hope this helps you!